Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Do You Recognize Him?

If you know me, you know that I love nature! I've spent hours gazing at the night sky...sunrises and sunsets...camping in the middle of the woods taking in every sight and smell that surrounds me. I love it so much that I want to try to capture what I can and share it with others. Yesterday it was an unusually warm day for January in Missouri and I was sitting on the front porch with my book. I noticed what sounded like someone walking around the corner, through the leaves. I was surprised to find that it was birds. Several of them. So I sat, and watched, and listened. Then, of course, I got out my phone to try to get it on video. They weren't really cooperating and as soon as I turned my camera off, in one swift motion they all flew, together, to the other side of the yard. God reminded me of something He's told me before when I've tried to capture a sunset or sunrise and the colors just don't show up the same. He told me then, "I painted that just for you." Wow! .

Sunday morning before church it was about half a dozen cardinals in the tree at the same time. I had never seen more than one "red bird" at a time. I was fascinated! Then this afternoon... It was time to do one of my favorite chores. Wash dishes. I look out the window as I'm making dish water and what do I see? There's a woodpecker on the tree outside the window. Right in my view. So what do I do? (You think I would have learned by now.) I get out my phone to try to capture a video. He goes behind the tree. I hear God chuckle. So, I put my phone away and just watch. The whole time I'm standing at the sink there he is. He's pecking and pooping. No kidding! Four times while watching him I saw the wind carry what he let loose of across the yard. Ha ha!

Back story... I've been in this season of rest. Or trying. Learning how. It's not always easy. I've always known this, but it is becoming more real to me every day, that He is right there to be found, we just have to recognize all the many ways He speaks to us. And these are some of the most intimate moments. In all of the infinite universe He's choosing to connect with me right now. Like a lover's tenderness. That can't be shared with others. That's meant only for you. I'll never stop taking photos or videos, nor admiring those that others take, but I will recognize that sometimes I just need to be still and let Him love me. Stop the busyness. Be present. Allow my soul to be filled in a way that is incomparable. That's how I really get to know the Creator of the universe.

By the way, here's a simple picture of the woodpecker. You can't really tell it's him on the side of the tree, but believe me, I couldn't make that story up.

No comments:

Post a Comment