Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Behind The Scenes



I’m sure most of us can appreciate a beautiful house. We ooh and aah at the subway tile, ship lap, intriguing light fixtures, beautiful colors and wallpaper. (Can you believe that’s a thing again?) How many of us really appreciate a good non-leaking foundation? Do we ask what’s behind the walls? Are the vitals, like plumbing and electrical even on our list of things to take note of?

What about the fixer upper? Good bones are essential. But, like the saying goes, you can put a dress on a pig, but it’s still a pig. So before the pretty stuff comes into play, the dirty stuff happens. 

And that’s where I was today. Right in the middle of the mess. Old termite damage, dirt, nasty insulation, and dust everywhere. 

That’s when God gently nudged me and reminded me that’s where my life has been the last couple of years. I have a good foundation. But I had some wrong belief systems. I had some heart work to do. He showed me a little glimpse of the beautiful dream house, but I had to get messy first. 

In this house, that was old termite damage. Hadn’t been active in years. But until someone was ready to go into the dark under the house, and to tear things apart in the walls, the damage was still there. It wasn’t safe to rebuild yet. 

Sometimes we wonder why we’re going around the same mountain again. Maybe it’s just because we’re strong enough for the next level of rebuilding to take place. Maybe we’re not afraid of the dark anymore. 

From what I’ve seen and heard from many of my friends, I’m not alone. Just mention 2019 and for various reasons we all sigh a little knowing the difficulties it brought. Yet, in the middle of it all, the light still shone through. The little reminders from God came, when we were least expecting it and really needed it. 

So, by all means, let’s dream about the beautiful, but not be afraid to get messy. We don’t have to do it alone. He reminds us He’s with us if we’ll just take a moment to notice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment